Tuesday 4 February 2014

Facebook - A Social Experiment Gone Wrong!

I have had Facebook for many years now.  It started as a way of keeping in touch with people.  It seemed like a nice idea.  See how people I went to school with we're getting on, catch up with family and friends overseas.

Then it grew, it snowballed, Facebook took on a life of its own.  Now we have 'likes', 'groups', games and various assorted apps.  I came to realise, through a conversation with one of my friends, that it hated it.  I only really keep it for event organizing purposes.  I started looking at why my dislike had formed and grown.

It started with all the stupid crap I have to trawl through just to see a couple of status'.  How many times can I see a grumpy cat in the same photo, with some 'witty' writing above and below it?  How often will I see what used to be called 'chain letters', and then spam? "If you share this lucky dog turd with 10 of your friends your luck will change for 2 months, 4 days, 3 hours, 47 minutes!"  Yes some of you friends will think you are an idiot and hide all your updates, probably forever!  "Share this if you hate...insert terrible thing here!"  Homophobia, cancer, AIDS, animal cruelty, child abuse!  Who doesn't hate these things? No I'm not sharing your stupid whining about very basic issues.  Why don't they ever say, "if you don't hate cancer, why don't you just piss off!"  "Share this if you think soldiers should get paid more than footballers" maybe if the government wasn't run on our tax money they would, but then that would be a private army and they would be mercenaries, and not heroes.  Private individuals pay footballers to do a job in their team.  No one suggests Richard Branson and Alan Sugar are over paid, no one seems to have an issue of Hollywood throwing millions of dollars at making some movies for Will Smith and Tom Cruise to entertain us for 2 hours, so why always footballers?

Then there is the selfies, what the hell made this a cool phenomenon?  Badly taken pictures, usually of some girl making a face like a duck.  You're not sexy, you look like a duck!  If male ducks had Facebook they would probably be permanently hard, "Ooh, Daisy got boobs!"  But they don't, get over it, take some decent photos or maybe look normal and not like an idiot!

A few of my friends are very creative.  They share things they have done on Facebook with their 'friends'.  This will usually get five or six likes, maybe a comment or two.  This is something they have taken time and effort to do, maybe draw a picture, create a video, make a collection of amusing pictures or create a music track.  Why is there so little appreciation for effort that someone has put in, when a girl can make the mating face of a mallard and get 200 likes?

When did moaning about everyday life stop being a private thing?  What happened to personal issues?  People just seem to go on Facebook and constantly moan about the most menial things.  It's just a constant stream of, my car, my kids, my husband, my wife, my house, no money, no time, blah blah blah.  You have a roof over your head, food on the table, maybe if you spent less time on Facebook moaning and more time with you family your wife, husband, kids wouldn't be so annoying!  There are people dying of terrible incurable diseases, starving because they can't afford food, that don't have a roof over their heads, that have no basic clean water, think about them before you moan you self centred ignorant muppets!

My final Facebook issues come with my 'friends' list.  I genuinely have nothing against any of the people on my 'friends' list, I wish them all good health and a good life.  But how the hell have I got 180 friends?  I consider myself lucky to have about 10 close friends, with about 25/30 other friends.  Add to that about another 10/15 family members.  Where the hell are the other 135 people from?  This is mostly a list of people I have briefly met at some point, either worked with, or just met through someone else.  It's no wonder my news feed is clogged full of crap!

I won't get rid of Facebook as yet, it is a tool of modern society, yet I find more of my life is wasted looking at pointless rubbish that doesn't even really interest me.  I hope people understand my rant and don't take it personally, it is a generalisation and somewhat exaggerated, but if you do take offence, I'm sure you will post about it in some heartbroken update which I will, no doubt, just ignore while chuckling at stupid cat pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment